Reading Questions Due BEFORE Class
Read Part 1 only of Subject 13 then submit (below) your answers to the following 3 questions before Friday’s class.
- Describe the ethical aspect of the case as though you were explaining it to someone unfamiliar with the case.
- Explain which of the 4 bioethical principles are relevant to the case. Explain your appraisal.
- Which of the principles do you think should take precedence and why?
Discussion Questions For In Class
(To be submitted as a group post in the discussion board)
- As an ethics committee you must reach a consensus. Discuss each others’ answers for (2) and (3) from the pre-discussion questions then write the answer you agree on. If someone strongly disagrees after discussion, they may submit a dissenting opinion.
- Is the trial a therapeutic or non-therapeutic trial?
- What are the main ethical concerns/conflicts in the above kind of trial? (What must a trial do in order to be justified).
- What 3 minimum conditions have to be satisfied to achieve ethical permissibility for the above kind of trial?
- How is equipoise relevant to reconciling beneficence with the goals of randomized clinical trials?
- Explain how clinical equipoise is relevant to evaluating the ethics of the case.
- Review the list of relevant information researchers are expected to give subjects (p. 246-247). Which apply to the case and how?
- What 4 criteria must be met for informed voluntary consent? Which do you think might not have been met in this case?